Castor Oil comes from the castor seed and originates from India and has been used for thousands of years for a wide variety of health conditions. The oil contains a high concentration of ricinoleic acid, which is thought to be the healing property.
Castor Oil packs are used widely by holistic therapists and used topically for skin conditions, to reduce pain and inflammation, for the dispersion of congestion, soften hardened mucous, to stimulate the immune system and for strengthening the lymphatic system. It is often used when detoxing and since the efficiency of the lymphatic system during a detox is important this pack will give extra support during the elimination process.
You Will Need
• Castor Oil (large bottle) which you can buy from a local chemist
• 2 soft clean thick white or neutral coloured old towels, cotton or flannel. (these will get stained by the oil so use towels you are happy to throw away or keep for this purpose). One towel should be large enough to cover the whole of the abdomen or even better still to go completely around the torso. The other should be large enough to cover the right side of your abdomen. If you haven’t a thick towel then fold a thin one.
• A clear plastic sheet/bag large enough and soft enough to wrap across your abdomen
• A hot water bottle or heat pad
• Old clothes in case of oil spills
Method: Place the plastic on the table. Cover this with a dampened layer of the larger towel. Place the smaller dry white towel on top of this and pour the Castor Oil in a zigzag shape from one side to the other and back again ensuring that the towel is soaked all over but not dripping.
Place the oiled side of the pack against the right side of the abdomen, covering the liver area, leaving the outside layer of the plastic acting as a seal and a protective layer which also helps to retain body heat. Secure with a wide crepe bandage or tight t-shirt then apply a heat pad or hot water bottle for an hour and if you feel comfortable then leave the castor oil pack on overnight but ensure the bedding is protected.
When washing the oil off you will find it easier to use 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda rather than soap. A Castor Oil Pack can be done x 3 nights per week and the same pack can be used for some considerable time with only nightly top-ups of the oil and re-wetting of the linen being required. The oiled towel can be stored in a large container.
At The Colonic Clinic here in Leicestershire we recommend Castor Oil Packs, especially when cleansing. We know they are a little messy but once you have the hang of them they are easy to do and they certainly do the job.